What are the risk factors for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?

Having many sexual partners is a risk factor for HPV infection. Although most HPV infections go away on their own without causing any type of abnormality, infection with high-risk HPV types increases the chance that mild abnormalities will develop and progress to more severe abnormalities or cervical cancer. However, even among the women who do develop abnormal cell changes with high-risk types of HPV, only a small percentage would develop cervical cancer if the abnormal cells were not removed. As a general rule, the more severe the abnormal cell change, the greater the risk of cancer. Studies suggest that whether a woman develops cervical cancer depends on a variety of factors acting together with high-risk HPVs. The factors that may increase the risk of cervical cancer in women with HPV infection include smoking and having many children.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute

Continue Learning about HPV

Why Boys Need to Get the HPV Vaccine Too
The Last Waltz was the title of The Band’s final 1976 performance at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. The Band’s drummer and vocalist Levon H...
How common are cancers related to human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Dr. Diane HarperDr. Diane Harper
In the world as a whole, human papillomavirus (HPV) causes one in 20 cancers. In developed countries...
If I have human papillomavirus (HPV), what should I ask my doctor?
If you have human papillomavirus (HPV), the following are questions to ask your healthcare provider:...
Answering the Embarrassing Questions Behind HPV