Is there a vitamin that can be used for HPV?

Dr. Diane Harper
Health Education

There are not any well done studies that show that a vitamin can prevent HPV infection. Since HPV only infects skin cells and folate is necessary for skin cells to replicate, some have advocated for the use of folic acid. This is without too much harm, as folic acid/folate is a water soluble vitamin and what you do not need in your body, you will excrete.

There is a compound called carrageenan. This has been found in studies to prevent HPV infection. But there is no available medical source of carrageenan yet.

Continue Learning about HPV

How Safe Is the HPV Vaccine?
How Safe Is the HPV Vaccine?
Occasionally, there’s a news story about someone who was harmed by a vaccination -- but without any scientific evidence. It always makes us think of t...
Does HPV always cause cancer?
Johnston-Willis Hospital - HCA VirginiaJohnston-Willis Hospital - HCA Virginia
It is important that women understand that infection with high-risk human papillomavirus (HPV) is a ...
What can I do if my teenager has not yet received the HPV vaccine?
If you haven't already had your daughter or son vaccinated for the human papillomavirus (HPV), it's ...
Dr. Diane Harper - What is the association between HPV infection and cancer?