If I have human papillomavirus (HPV), what should I ask my doctor?

If you have human papillomavirus (HPV), the following are questions to ask your healthcare provider:
  • Please explain the treatment you recommend. Given the wide variety of treatment options available, why is one better for me than the others?
  • How much will each treatment cost, and how many treatments will it take to permanently remove my warts?
  • What are the side effects of this treatment?
  • What should I do if my symptoms or treatments become painful?
  • Can I have sex during the treatment period?
  • If I'm pregnant, or plan to get pregnant, how will HPV affect me and my baby?

Continue Learning about HPV

Why Parents and Doctors Aren’t Talking About the HPV Vaccine
The human papillomavirus (HPV) is the most commonly transmitted STD in the U.S., causing cancer in roughly 20,700 women and 14,100 men every year. Luc...
Can human papillomavirus (HPV) infection be prevented?
Evelyn Minaya, MDEvelyn Minaya, MD
Theoretically, HPV can be prevented by vaccination before sexual activity, and the transmission of t...
How do women get human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Genital HPV is passed by skin-to-skin and genital contact. It is most often passed during vaginal an...
When Should Women Start Being Tested for Human Papillomavirus (HPV)?