How are human papillomavirus (HPV)-associated cancers treated?

If abnormal cervical cells are suspicious for cancer, a small sample of the tissue is removed during colposcopy -- a procedure using an instrument that magnifies tissue in the vagina and cervix -- and examined further under a microscope to rule out or confirm a diagnosis of cervical cancer. If cancerous cells are found, they can be surgically removed via freezing (cryosurgery), electrosurgery (LEEP), or conventional surgery.

Treatment for other human papillomavirus (HPV)-associated cancers of the head, neck, penis, vulva, throat, and mouth include surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.

Continue Learning about HPV

Dr. Diane Harper - What is the relationship between genital warts and HPV?
Should Males Get the HPV Vaccine?
Should Males Get the HPV Vaccine?
Let's Talk About Safe Sex
Let's Talk About Safe Sex
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?