How is the human papillomavirus (HPV) infection detected?

Testing samples of cervical cells is an effective way to identify high-risk types of HPV that may be present. The FDA has approved an HPV test as a follow-up for women who have an ambiguous Pap test (a screening test to detect cervical cell changes) and, for women over the age of 30, for general cervical cancer screening. This HPV test can identify at least 13 of the high-risk types of HPV associated with the development of cervical cancer. This test, which looks for viral DNA, is performed by collecting cells from the cervix and then sending them to a laboratory for analysis. The test can detect high-risk types of HPV even before there are any conclusive visible changes to the cervical cells. There are currently no approved tests to detect HPV infection in men.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about HPV

Dr. Diane Harper - Who Is a Candidate for the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine?
Dr. Diane Harper - What is the association between HPV infection and cancer?
What Are the Benefits of the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine?
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?