Are there specific types of HPV associated with cancer?

Some types of HPV are referred to as "low-risk" viruses because they rarely cause lesions that develop into cancer. HPV types that are more likely to lead to the development of cancer are referred to as "high-risk." Both high-risk and low-risk types of HPV can cause the growth of abnormal cells, but only the high-risk types of HPV lead to cancer. Sexually transmitted, high-risk HPVs include types 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 66, 68, and 73. These high-risk types of HPV cause growths on the cervix that are usually flat and nearly invisible, as compared with the external warts caused by low-risk types HPV–6 and HPV–11. HPV types 16 and 18 together cause about 70 percent of cervical cancers. It is important to note, however, that the great majority of high-risk HPV infections go away on their own and do not cause cancer.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about HPV

Dr. Diane Harper - Who Is a Candidate for the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine?
Dr. Diane Harper - What is the relationship between genital warts and HPV?
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?
How Safe Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Vaccines?