How should I tell my partner I have HPV?

Paul  Hokemeyer, PhD
Marriage & Family Therapy

Tell your partner in an honest and direct way. An example of this is, "I'm very attracted to you and I need to let you know before we get sexually intimate that I have HPV." You don't need to make any excuses or apologize. Most people are afraid of disclosing their HPV status for fear of being rejected or judged in a negative light. If you fall into this category, you should rethink your relationship with your potential sexual partner. The most rewarding sex occurs in a relationship of trust and measured vulnerability. Sex that lacks these elements is transactional in more cases then not and leads to disappointment and regret.

Continue Learning about HPV

When Should Women Start Being Tested for Human Papillomavirus (HPV)?
Dr. Diane Harper - Who Is a Candidate for the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine?
Dr. Diane Harper - What is the relationship between genital warts and HPV?
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?