How should I tell my partner I have HPV?

Paul  Hokemeyer, PhD
Marriage & Family Therapy

Tell your partner in an honest and direct way. An example of this is, "I'm very attracted to you and I need to let you know before we get sexually intimate that I have HPV." You don't need to make any excuses or apologize. Most people are afraid of disclosing their HPV status for fear of being rejected or judged in a negative light. If you fall into this category, you should rethink your relationship with your potential sexual partner. The most rewarding sex occurs in a relationship of trust and measured vulnerability. Sex that lacks these elements is transactional in more cases then not and leads to disappointment and regret.

Continue Learning about HPV

HPV: Stay Safe Not Sorry
HPV: Stay Safe Not Sorry
In the 2005 movie The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Andy Stitzer (Steve Carell) tries to overcome his loveless isolation wit...
Why is the HPV vaccine given to boys and girls at such an early age?
Martin M. Anderson, MDMartin M. Anderson, MD
Although national health authorities now recommend that 11-year-old girls and boys receive either th...
What types of cancers are associated with human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Human papillomavirus (HPV) can cause different types of cancer, including that of the cervix, va...
How Safe Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Vaccines?