How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?

Kristine A. Borrison, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Use condoms and limit the number of sexual partners to protect yourself against HPV. Find out why safe sex and the HPV vaccine is important in this video from gynecologist Kristine Borrison, MD, of Good Samaritan Hospital.
 Dr. Diane Harper
Health Education

There's no way to completely protect yourself from getting human papillomavirus (HPV), but you can reduce your risk. In this video, HPV expert Dr. Diane Harper explains how.

Using condoms may reduce the risk of getting genital warts and cervical cancer. But condoms don't always protect you from HPV. The best ways to protect yourself from HPV are to:
Not have sex Be faithful, meaning you and your partner only have sex with each other and no one else.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about HPV

HPV: Stay Safe Not Sorry
HPV: Stay Safe Not Sorry
In the 2005 movie The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Andy Stitzer (Steve Carell) tries to overcome his loveless isolation wit...
How do women get human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Genital HPV is passed by skin-to-skin and genital contact. It is most often passed during vaginal an...
Are there different strains of human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Martin M. Anderson, MDMartin M. Anderson, MD
There are many strains of human papillomavirus (HPV), but the most common are divided into two types...
What You Need to Know About HPV and Cancer