How does human papillomavirus (HPV) affect a pregnancy?

Most women who had genital warts, but no longer have them, do not have problems during pregnancy or birth. For women who have genital warts during pregnancy, the warts may grow or become larger and bleed. In rare cases, a pregnant woman can pass HPV to her baby during vaginal delivery. Rarely, a baby who is exposed to HPV gets warts in the throat or voice box.

If the warts block the birth canal, a woman may need to have a cesarean section (C section) delivery. But HPV infection or genital warts are not sole reasons for a C section.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about HPV

Why Boys Need to Get the HPV Vaccine Too
The Last Waltz was the title of The Band’s final 1976 performance at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. The Band’s drummer and vocalist Levon H...
Can human papillomavirus (HPV) be treated?
There is no cure for human papillomavirus (HPV), but there are treatments for genital warts. In addi...
How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Kristine A. Borrison, MDKristine A. Borrison, MD
Use condoms and limit the number of sexual partners to protect yourself against HPV. Find out why sa...
Dr. Diane Harper - What is the relationship between genital warts and HPV?