Do all types of human papillomavirus (HPV) cause cancer?

Dr. Diane Harper
Health Education
Only 15 types of human papillomavirus (HPV) are considered high-risk types that cause cancer. Most of the cancers are related to HPV 16, because HPV 16 is the quickest to progress into a cancer, but the other types, given enough time, can also form cancers.

Continue Learning about HPV

HPV: Stay Safe Not Sorry
HPV: Stay Safe Not Sorry
In the 2005 movie The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Andy Stitzer (Steve Carell) tries to overcome his loveless isolation wit...
What health problems does the human papillomavirus (HPV) cause?
Sunrise Hospital & Medical CenterSunrise Hospital & Medical Center
Health problems related to the human papillomavirus (HPV) range from skin warts to cancers of the ce...
Should I get vaccinated to protect myself from HPV?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
All cases of cervical cancer are derived from HPV. Two vaccines, Gardasil and Cervarix, have been de...
Dr. Diane Harper - What is the association between HPV infection and cancer?