Are there different strains of human papillomavirus (HPV)?

Martin M. Anderson, MD
Pediatrics
There are many strains of human papillomavirus (HPV), but the most common are divided into two types:
  • those that cause visible genital warts (warts you can see)
  • those that do not cause visible warts, but are linked to a higher rate of cancers of the cervix, mouth, anus and genitals
Because some types of HPV do not cause visible signs of the disease, many people who become infected with the virus don’t know they have it.

Continue Learning about HPV

What You Need to Know About the HPV Vaccine
More than 42 percent of Americans ages 18 to 59 are infected with the human papillomavirus (HPV), according to a 2013-2014 survey from the National Ce...
What can I do if my teenager has not yet received the HPV vaccine?
If you haven't already had your daughter or son vaccinated for the human papillomavirus (HPV), it's ...
Why can't women over age 26 get vaccinated for HPV?
Evelyn Minaya, MDEvelyn Minaya, MD
Women and men cannot get the vaccine after the age of 26, because studies have found that it does no...
Answering the Embarrassing Questions Behind HPV