What is one important thing to remember when preparing to exercise?

"Remember to stretch your tight muscles as you prepare to exercise. Evidence shows that static stretching can, and should, be used to restore your muscles to their optimal length, helping to improve postural alignment as well as muscle function during activity. After stretching, perform a few activation and integration exercises for the muscles you just stretched so the muscles and joints are ready to operate within their newly established range of motion. This will ultimately improve your overall movement patterns, decrease the stress placed on your body, and reduce your risk of injury. It is also very important to equip yourself with adequate means of hydration since a body fluid loss of just a few percent can cause a decrease in your performance and add to feelings of fatigue."

Continue Learning about How to Prepare for Exercise

Are there any secrets to getting started with a fitness program?
barre3barre3
The best way to start a fitness program is to approach it with realistic goals and a long-term minds...
How can I get started and stick with a fitness program?
Roshana Golstani, NASM Elite TrainerRoshana Golstani, NASM Elite Trainer
As a personal trainer, I advise my client to be selfish when it comes to finding motivation to exerc...
How can I warm-up my rotator cuff?
David Hogarth David Hogarth
The rotator cuff is a group of small muscles which are important to stabilize the shoulder during ac...
How Should I Hydrate My Body When Exercising?