How should I stretch if I have painful hip, knee or ankle or joints?

You should do a total body warm up on a non weight bearing machine (such as a dual arm action exercise stationary bike) for a period of 5 to 10 minutes before any stretching or exercising.  A total body warm up can increase your body elasticity by 20% and get your synovial fluid going in the joints which will help with pain and stiffness.  A better indication to know when you're properly warmed up and ready for stretching and exercising is when you notice sweat/moisture appearing on your forehead, back of hands, or under the nose. 

With continuing pain you should see your medical provider.  Also meeting with a NASM certified personal trainer for dynamic postural assessments, and basic performance assessments is recommended before exercising.

Dynamic postural assessments observe your basic body movements, how your muscles and joints work together, and look for any imbalances or dysfunctions in your posture alignment that can be corrected.  Poor posture, dysfunctions, and muscles imbalances, may be leading to your pain and discomfort. 

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
 If you have a painful lower extremity joint, such as the hip, knee, or ankle, you need to stretch the entire lower extremity on both sides of your body as well as your lower back. To a lesser extent, it's important to stretch your upper back and arms.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...
Your best recommendation is to see your primary physician when area such as these are overly painful.  If these areas are tight then stretching them should be manageable but if you are experience pain then seeking professional help is best recommended.
Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

Stretching exercises will depend on the reasons for your pain. Most often, hip or knee pain is the result of poor control of these joints rather than tight muscles. In the case of hip pain, poor gluteal function results in the femoral head sliding forward as the hip flexes. This changes the axis of rotation of the hip joint creating groin pain, bursitis, or pain in the rear.

Regarding knee pain, typically this results from excessive internal (inward) rotation of the thigh bone. This can occur due to either foot or hip mechanical problems and is often the result of poor motor control of the joints, rather than tightness.

Continue Learning about How to Prepare for Exercise

How should I do skipping as a warm-up exercise?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Skipping is a warm-up exercise that can easily be performed before any kind of exercise. Here's how:...
How should I warm up before lifting weights?
Mark Dickey , NASM Elite TrainerMark Dickey , NASM Elite Trainer
Before doing any fitness or exercise activities, a total body warm up period of 5 to 10 minutes is h...
How do I create a fitness program to help me train for a specific sport?
Cecilia Alston , NASM Elite TrainerCecilia Alston , NASM Elite Trainer
First determine the demands of that sport. What skills do you need? What will be required of you whe...
How Should I Hydrate My Body When Exercising?