How can I start exercising if I have never been active?

If you have never been active, talk to your doctor about what exercise is safe for you and discuss how you can start.

Starting slowly is important and so is choosing activities that you enjoy. Over time, activity will get easier. You will find that you can increase the amount/intensity of physical activity you do.

If you’ve never been active be sure to get a physical first so you can safely begin. Once cleared for exercise, start with simple activities such as walking and light resistance training. Working with an NASM certified personal trainer is also a great way to start.

Continue Learning about How to Prepare for Exercise

How do I create a fitness program to improve my general health?
A general health program will consist of a combination of flexibility exercises, aerobic work, and r...
What should I do before starting an exercise regimen?
To get your exercise regimen started, set some reasonable goals first. You’re more likely to enjoy y...
How should I warm up my muscles before stretching?
Daniel J. Gurley, MDDaniel J. Gurley, MD
It's important to warm up with a light jog or calisthenics before stretching, says Dan Gurley, ortho...
How Should I Hydrate My Body When Exercising?