How should I prepare if I want to complete a good, dynamic workout?

To prepare for a good, dynamic workout, create a workout plan that incorporates flexibility, total-body exercises, and resistance exercises for most individual body parts. A great resistance training system that accomplishes this is called vertical loading. This system is simply comprised of resistance exercises for all major body parts beginning at the top of your body and working your way down. To create a vertically loaded workout plan, include exercises for the following body parts in the order listed.

1. Total-body exercise
  2. Chest
  3. Back
  4. Shoulders
  5. Biceps
  6. Triceps
  7. Legs

Since it is important to begin your workout with flexibility exercises to prepare your muscles for the work ahead, feel free to modify your workout if there are time constraints by eliminating one or two of the groups above. Include a cool-down that incorporates static stretching exercises and some light, aerobic activity to help your body recover.

Continue Learning about How to Prepare for Exercise

How should I warm up my muscles before stretching?
Daniel J. Gurley, MDDaniel J. Gurley, MD
It's important to warm up with a light jog or calisthenics before stretching, says Dan Gurley, ortho...
How can I warm up my shoulders?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do shoulder pendulums to warm up shoulders: Reps: 10 Sets: 1 Intensity: Light Tempo...
When establishing a fitness program, what type of training should I choose?
"When trying to establish a program, there are several factors to evaluate. One way to look at this ...
How Should I Hydrate My Body When Exercising?