How can I warm up my shoulders?

Stand with your feet together, weights in your hands, arms and shoulders relaxed. "Swim" your shoulders backward 10 times, then forward 10 times: When your right shoulder is up, your left shoulder is down; when your right shoulder is forward, your left is back. Try to get a full range of motion. Resist bending your elbows, and keep your arms relaxed.

Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
Here's how to do shoulder pendulums to warm up shoulders:

Reps: 10
Sets: 1
Intensity: Light
Tempo: Slow and controlled
Rest: No rest needed

Starting position: Stand up straight with your feet together. Hold a 1- to 3-pound weight in your right hand with one end of the weight hanging down toward the floor.

Movement: Extend your right leg straight back and press the right heel toward the floor, bending your left knee slightly. Slowly rock your body forward and back, allowing the weight to swing gently like a pendulum. Finish all reps, then switch positions and repeat with the weight in your left hand.

Tips and techniques:
  • Maintain neutral posture with your shoulders down and back.
  • Slant your whole body forward by hinging from the ankles.
  • Rock back and forth, lifting the heel of the back leg and then the toe of the front leg.
Too hard? Perform the exercise while seated, or try it standing with no weight.

Too easy? Make a larger arc as you swing the weight like a pendulum.

Continue Learning about How to Prepare for Exercise

How do I return to health and fitness after time away?
Talal Khan, MDTalal Khan, MD
After time away from activity, return to health and fitness and avoid an unplanned injury by followi...
How can I warm-up my rotator cuff?
David Hogarth David Hogarth
The rotator cuff is a group of small muscles which are important to stabilize the shoulder during ac...
How should I warm up my muscles before stretching?
Daniel J. Gurley, MDDaniel J. Gurley, MD
It's important to warm up with a light jog or calisthenics before stretching, says Dan Gurley, ortho...
How Should I Hydrate My Body When Exercising?