1) Maximize flavor and nutrition. Choose foods that give you the most flavor and nutritional value for the calories you consume. These foods are rich in one or more of the dietary elements that help your metabolism such as vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. Foods with appetite-satisfying flavor and lots of nutrition top the list, such as blueberries, tomatoes, ginger, onions, and fresh herbs.
2) Benefit from omega-3 oils. Omega-3 essential fatty acids are essential to the healthy functioning of body and brain. Omega-3s help heal inflammation, promote a wide range of cellular activities, and improve or prevent depression, Alzheimer's disease, and other disorders. Plant sources of omega-3s include ground flaxseeds, walnuts, and beans, especially navy, kidney, and soy. Animal sources include fish, especially oily cold-water fish such as salmon or tuna.
3) Up your fruit and vegetable servings to 9 or 10 a day. Find delicious ways to incorporate fruits and vegetables into every meal. Choose those fruits and vegetables with deep colors and intense flavors that reflect their high content of anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, like carotenoids and flavonoids. The deepest red and blue flavonoids belong to a subgroup called anthocyanins, found in the jewel-like colors of like blueberries, cherries, and pomegranate.
4) Skip the artificial sweeteners. The use of artificial flavors and sweeteners deprives you of the potent anti-inflammatory phytonutrients found in herbs, spices and naturally sweet fruits. Studies show that artificial sweeteners interfere with weight loss. So steer clear of these sugar substitutes and enjoy fruit, fruit juice and fruit concentrates for their flavor and nutrition. A recent editorial in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) also raised concerns about the use of artificial sweeteners.
5) Enjoy healthy snacks and desserts. Snacks satisfy hunger, and desserts add fun and satisfaction to a meal. Indulge—but in healthy choices only. Enjoy delicious snacks such as crunchy walnuts or almonds, and dessert treats made from fruit and yogurt that will excite your palate while keeping you satisfied.