What is the thermic effect of feeding?

Eric Olsen
Fitness
When you eat, your metabolic rate increases slightly as your body works to process the food. This thermic effect of feeding (TEF) accounts for only about 10 percent of the calories you expend in a day, but it is possible to maximize the TEF through changes in diet and eating patterns. Proteins and complex carbohydrates have the greatest thermic effect; that is, perhaps as much as 25 percent of the energy in these foods is expended digesting them. Fats, on the other hand, have negligible thermic effect; almost all the energy in fat is used either for energy or, more likely, layered around the midsection or thighs.
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Continue Learning about How The Metabolic Process Works

Is a person’s metabolism pre-determined?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
A person's metabolic rate or metabolism is the sum total of all energy needed to perform all necessa...
How does the body process the nutrients we eat?
Contrary to popular belief, all ingested protein doesn't become muscle and all the fat in your food ...
What is aerobic respiration?
Aerobic respiration is a chemical process in which oxygen is used to make energy from carbohydrates ...
How Can I Boost My Metabolism If I'm a Woman Over 40?