What are exercises that can be done to increase metabolism?

To increase your metabolism experts recommend engaging in high intensity short duration activities like interval training, sprinting, and heavy resistance training. This type of training has been shown to increase lean muscle mass, and promote the increase of natural hormones like testosterone, and human growth hormone that help stimulate your metabolism. Perform high intensity short duration training sessions 2-3 times a week with at least 1 day rested in between sessions. High intensity exercise is not for everyone though. If it's been a while since you exercised, or if you have any health issues such as heart problems, high blood pressure, or joint or muscle pain consult a physician before deciding to try such things.

When speaking about metabolism the most predictable measure is the basic metabolic rate.  It is most predictable because it is the metabolic needs of your body for basic body functions.  It is the amount of calories your body needs at complete rest.

We can all agree that the more you move and the more you exercise the greater the number of calories expended.  However life happens at times and we don't always have the ability to move as much as we would want every single day.  Therefore, the best way to have a fast metabolism is to increase the basic metabolic rate.

The best way to increase your (BMR) is to increase your lean muscle tissue.  There is a greater energy requirement for lean muscle at rest than body fat at rest.  Therefore the greater the relationship between lean muscle and body fat the greater the need for calories at rest and hence the greater the metabolism and more calories burned throughout the day.

Gaining muscle just does not happen you have to work hard for it, eat well and train appropriately.  I am not talking about getting huge or bulky, I simply am talking about changing your body composition and increasing your lean muscle tissue and the reduction of body fat.

Some people may argue with me but 10 times out of 10 if I take a 200lb person at 30% body fat and a 200 lb person with 5% body fat the person with 5% body fat will burn more calories at rest because there is a greater need for calories to sustain muscle at rest.  The weight is the same, the caloric requirements are different.  

We all know that exercise will increase calories burned and that helps everyone but an increase in lean muscle tissue will help increase the your current basic metabolic rate for body functions.  So get in the gym, work with a coach, build some muscle, eat enough food, stay in a slight negative calorie balance and watch yourself adding lean muscle tissue, toning up and increasing your base metabolic rate.

The answer to your question is whatever exercises help you build muscle.

Exercising will increase your metabolism. Any activity that gets your heart rate up and challenges your body to grow more muscle fibers will increase your metabolism. So, it is not a matter of what exercises will increase your metabolism, all will. How much of an increase you get will be affected by the type of activity or exercise that is done.

Example, a half hour sprinting routine will increase your caloric expenditure for the rest of the day. However, an hour of slow steady walking will increase use of calories for that hour.

Multi joint weight training will give you more "bang for your buck" than a single joint weight training.

Continue Learning about How The Metabolic Process Works

Why is the thyroid gland known as the master gland of metabolism?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
It is important for you and your doctor to make sure that your thyroid gland is functioning properly...
Why is homeostasis important for us to maintain a good health?
Of all nature's miracles, the human body is the most amazing. As Thoreau realized, nature works cons...
How Can I Boost My Metabolism If I'm a Woman Over 40?
What Are Exercises That Can Be Done to Increase Metabolism?