How does eating black pepper boost my metabolism?

Lona Sandon

Some spices are known for temporarily increasing thermogenesis, heat production, which causes a slight rise in metabolic rate. But I would not count on this as a weight loss strategy just yet. The increase in metabolism is very small and there is little to no research in humans to show that adding more black pepper to you meals has metabolic benefits for calorie burning. 

A study with mice did find that the mice that ate black pepper or piperine (compound found in black pepper) did increase body heat or thermogenesis which means an increase in basal metabolism. These mice had a decrease in body weight and abdominal fat. Piperine may work by helping to prevent fat from being stored. This study was published in Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry in October 2010. 

Even if it does change metabolism much, pouring on the pepper could be beneficial in other ways. The component piperine, may do other healthful things for us like help lower blood pressure and prevent oxidative stress that can damage arteries. There does not seem to be any harm in adding a bit more pepper to your foods and it is a good way to add flavor without adding salt, fat, or more calories. Feel free to sprinkle it on. 

Continue Learning about How The Metabolic Process Works

How can I increase my metabolism?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
You can naturally rev up your metabolism by eating 5 or 6 small meals and snacks each day. Diabeti...
What does the term metabolism mean?
Elizabeth Casparro, MPH,RDElizabeth Casparro, MPH,RD
Metabolism is the sum of all chemical reactions in the body. This includes both catabolic (breaking ...
What are exercises that can be done to increase metabolism?
Jeremiah Forster, NASM Elite TrainerJeremiah Forster, NASM Elite Trainer
When speaking about metabolism the most predictable measure is the basic metabolic rate.  It is most...
How Can I Boost My Metabolism If I'm a Woman Over 40?