Why should I get rid of my kitchen sponges?

Why should you get rid of your kitchen sponges? What's a safer alternative to using kitchen sponges? Although you can wash sponges in the dishwasher or nuke them in the microwave to kill bacteria, the healthiest idea is simply to get rid of them. A sponge is like the back row in study hall-it attracts all the bad elements. In fact, bacteria grows on sponges, so every time you use one, you have the potential of passing bacteria from sponge to dish to food to mouth to one nasty day in the restroom. Instead of using kitchen sponges, buy 10 cheap dish towels and get two buckets. Put clean towels in a clean bucket. When you need one, use it from that bucket; then toss the used one in the second bucket that contains diluted bleach. That kills anything that tries to grow. Then wash all of them once a week.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...
The main reason is that they collect bacteria. Warm, moist environments are something that bacteria thrive on. Nothing fits that description better than a sponge. It turns out that the place most likely in the house to harbor harmful bacteria is the kitchen, and sponges are a place for them to survive.

Continue Learning about Household Safety

Protect Your Kids from Hidden Hazards in the Kitchen
Danni’s mom was busy cooking dinner when she heard Danni’s cry. The toddler had found the food processor. While her parents had proactively and carefu...
What to Do About Bed Bugs
What to Do About Bed Bugs
Bed bugs—persistent, nighttime marauders—can cause rashes, irritated bumps that look like mosquito bites, or even hives, although not everyone reacts ...
Could air pollution in my home or office make me sick?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
Chances are you are exposed to indoor air pollution in the house where you live or the building wher...
How can I keep my garbage can shut to keep animals away?
Animals, especially raccoons, tip trashcans over to get what’s inside. Use heavy plastic or metal ca...