Why are nonstick pans toxic?

A few years ago, word got out that you should ditch any nonstick pans with coatings that were peeling or chipped, because they add unhealthy chemicals to your food. Now experts say that even new pans can put your health at risk if you overheat them. Nonstick pans contain perfluorinated chemicals that are released into the air at a certain temperature. These chemicals can block the action of estrogen in our bodies (possibly damaging fertility), harm your lungs, and have even been known to kill pet birds whose cages were kept in kitchens.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Household Safety

What to Do About Bed Bugs
What to Do About Bed Bugs
Bed bugs—persistent, nighttime marauders—can cause rashes, irritated bumps that look like mosquito bites, or even hives, although not everyone reacts ...
Weird Ways Your Home Is Making You Sick
Weird Ways Your Home Is Making You Sick
You vacuum your carpets, wash your dishes and clothes, and clean your windows, so you must have a clean house, right? Wrong. There are some sneaky hea...
What everyday things cause elderly people to fall?
Many everyday things can cause elderly people to fall. While it's true that falling can be caused by...
How can I get rid of a bat inside my house?
If a bat is present in your home, contact an animal-control or public health agency for assistance. ...