What is a safer alternative to oven cleaners?

Lye is the active ingredient in many oven cleaners. Because lye is so dangerous, it’s best to avoid lye-based oven cleaners, especially those in aerosol cans. While aerosols assure that the material is evenly dispersed in your oven, they also coat your hair, skin, and lungs with fine droplets. As an alternative to using lye-based oven cleaners, warm the oven, then moisten the dirty parts with water, sprinkle them with baking soda, wait a few minutes, then scrub with steel wool until clean. Or, try Arm & Hammer Oven Cleaner, which is nontoxic.

If you feel you have to use a lye-based cleaner, avoid products that need to be used on a warm or hot oven: The combination will produce additional respiratory irritants. Also choose a “paint-on” type of lye that’s impregnated in a steel wool base (which at least assures that you’re not inhaling the lye to the same extent that you would with the other types of lye products).
Raising Healthy Children in a Toxic World

"101 Smart Solutions for Every Family... Allergens, Asbestos, Herbicides, ... Unsafe Foods..."

Continue Learning about Household Safety

Avoid Red Tide in Your Home Aquarium
Avoid Red Tide in Your Home Aquarium
In the 1976 thriller, Marathon Man, the bad guy Szell (Laurence Olivier) is torturing Babe (Dustin Hoffman) and repeatedly asks his victim, “Is it saf...
Child Safety: Head Injury From Toppling TVs
It’s summer and -- like every year -- we’re seeing the annual rise in children’s injuries and deaths. The most common causes are drowning (#1), follow...
How can I tell if my water is contaminated?
Over 20% of water treatment centers have safety violations. Learn how to make your water safe in...
Which types of household pests do I not want inside my home?
Entomologist Billy Bretherton, star of A&E’s The Exterminators, refers to the four most common home ...