What is a safer alternative to drain cleaners?

Your best bet when it comes to drain cleaners is to avoid using them. Most drain cleaners contain lye (sodium hydroxide), which can cause severe burns -- and can be life threatening if a child drinks it. Instead, try a non-toxic method of fixing the problem. Pour 1 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vinegar down the drain. Follow the baking soda and vinegar with boiling water to help break the clog. If your sink is draining slowly, you can try to take apart the drain mechanism and remove the clog by hand.
Raising Healthy Children in a Toxic World

"101 Smart Solutions for Every Family... Allergens, Asbestos, Herbicides, ... Unsafe Foods..."

Continue Learning about Household Safety

Weird Ways Your Home Is Making You Sick
Weird Ways Your Home Is Making You Sick
You vacuum your carpets, wash your dishes and clothes, and clean your windows, so you must have a clean house, right? Wrong. There are some sneaky hea...
Do You Know How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide (CO), is the leading cause of poison-related deaths in the United States, responsible for more than 20,000 trips to the emergency room...
How should I clean my kitchen countertops?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
There are many disinfectants and cleaners that are highly effective. Chlorine bleach is an inexpens...
Which types of household pests do I not want inside my home?
Entomologist Billy Bretherton, star of A&E’s The Exterminators, refers to the four most common home ...