What are basic home safety rules?

Accidents often happen at home. Follow these basic safety rules to stay safe and get help when you need it.
  • Put the Poison Control Center number on every phone: 1-800-222-1222.
  • List other important phone numbers near the phone too. Your list may include phone numbers for your doctor or clinic, close family members, or friends.
  • Teach your children about the 911 number. Make sure they know it's for emergencies, not for fun.
  • Keep this guide near the phone. It will help you know when to get medical help. You can write important phone numbers on the inside of the back cover.
  • Keep all phones where you can easily get to them. Have at least one phone on every floor of your house.

Continue Learning about Household Safety

How Safe is Your Backyard
How Safe is Your Backyard
My friend’s first unfortunate mistake: Ignoring the broken ash-catcher on the bottom of his ancient Weber grill, which was loose enough to allow an em...
Protect Your Kids from Hidden Hazards in the Kitchen
Danni’s mom was busy cooking dinner when she heard Danni’s cry. The toddler had found the food processor. While her parents had proactively and carefu...
How can I keep my family safe from water contaminants?
Here are some ways to keep your family safe from water contaminants:Run water for 60 seconds prior t...
What is a safer alternative to oven cleaners?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Lye is the active ingredient in many oven cleaners. Because lye is so dangerous, it’s best to avoid ...