What are signs that I could have a raccoon living in my house?

You could have a raccoon living in your house if you heargnawing or scratching noises, find fecal matter slightly bigger than a cat’s, or find shedding.

When raccoon feces dry, particles carrying diseases like raccoon roundworm become airborne and can damage your central nervous system.  Raccoons also carry rabies, a virus spread via scratches or bites. Rabies infects the central nervous system, diseasing the brain and sometimes causing death. Early symptoms include fever, headache, and weakness.

Exterminators use special traps baited with cat food to capture raccoons.

Continue Learning about Household Safety

How Safe is Your Backyard
How Safe is Your Backyard
My friend’s first unfortunate mistake: Ignoring the broken ash-catcher on the bottom of his ancient Weber grill, which was loose enough to allow an em...
Protect Your Kids from Hidden Hazards in the Kitchen
Danni’s mom was busy cooking dinner when she heard Danni’s cry. The toddler had found the food processor. While her parents had proactively and carefu...
How can I safely keep medications in a house with children?
Always keep medications in original bottles or containers, with the cap secure, and up and away from...
How can I tell if my water is contaminated?
Over 20% of water treatment centers have safety violations. Learn how to make your water safe in...