How can having roaches in my house be dangerous?

People often bring roaches into homes on paper bags or cardboard boxes, since these insects are fond of starchy materials, paper, and glue.

Roaches carry bacteria like E.coli and salmonella that can contaminate food, cooking equipment, and food surfaces. Roach allergens can increase the severity of asthma.

The best defense against roaches is to caulk and fill cracks and crevices with copper mesh; avoid steel wool because it rusts. Roach-specific bait traps and boric acid, which are safe for the environment, exterminate effectively.

Continue Learning about Household Safety

What to Do About Bed Bugs
What to Do About Bed Bugs
Bed bugs—persistent, nighttime marauders—can cause rashes, irritated bumps that look like mosquito bites, or even hives, although not everyone reacts ...
Getting Rid of Hidden Household Hazards
Getting Rid of Hidden Household Hazards
Ever since Edgar Alan Poe wrote The Telltale Heart people have been worried about what menace might be lurking, unseen, in their homes (just think of ...
How can I get rid of a bat inside my house?
If a bat is present in your home, contact an animal-control or public health agency for assistance. ...
What should I do with the wire hangers I get from the cleaners?
Don't throw out the hangers you bring home from the cleaners. When you bring your shirts in to be cl...