Household bleach contains the chemical sodium hypochlorite and is used to whiten clothes and kill germs like mold, bacteria, and viruses. It's not good for the environment and not good for you; it evaporates quickly to irritate your nose, eyes, throat, skin, and lungs. Good non-toxic alternatives are baking soda, white vinegar, and alcohol and peroxide based products.
- Q What are non-toxic ways of getting rid of roaches?
- Q What are some common indoor health problems?
- Q What are sources of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the home?
- Q What tips can I use to make my house fall proof?
- Q How can my house make me sick?
- Q Will mixing liquid nitrogen and water create dangerous fumes?