Household bleach contains the chemical sodium hypochlorite and is used to whiten clothes and kill germs like mold, bacteria, and viruses. It's not good for the environment and not good for you; it evaporates quickly to irritate your nose, eyes, throat, skin, and lungs. Good non-toxic alternatives are baking soda, white vinegar, and alcohol and peroxide based products.
- Q How do volatile organic compounds (VOCs) affect health?
- Q How can I make sure the air in my home is clean?
- Q What are volatile organic compounds (VOCs)?
- Q Which household products are dangerous to children?
- Q How should I clean up a mercury spill?
- Q What should I do with the wire hangers I get from the cleaners?