What are the non-toxic alternatives to household bleach?

Household bleach contains the chemical sodium hypochlorite and is used to whiten clothes and kill germs like mold, bacteria, and viruses. It's not good for the environment and not good for you; it evaporates quickly to irritate your nose, eyes, throat, skin, and lungs. Good non-toxic alternatives are baking soda, white vinegar, and alcohol and peroxide based products.

Continue Learning about Household Safety

Avoid Red Tide in Your Home Aquarium
Avoid Red Tide in Your Home Aquarium
In the 1976 thriller, Marathon Man, the bad guy Szell (Laurence Olivier) is torturing Babe (Dustin Hoffman) and repeatedly asks his victim, “Is it saf...
5 DIY Household Cleaning Products to Detox Your Home
Your cleaning supplies are your home’s best defense against germs, dust, dirt and grease. But when it comes to your health, they might actually be mor...
How can I keep my child safe around water in the house?
Water hazards are everywhere around the home, not just in the bathtub. Babies under age one often dr...
How can I help prevent accidents at home?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To help prevent accidents at home: Keep these things in cupboards that children can't open: All h...