How can I keep my family safe from water contaminants?

Here are some ways to keep your family safe from water contaminants:

• Run water for 60 seconds prior to using to flush out contaminants that may have accumulated in your hot-water heater or pipes.
  • Replace corrosive water systems.
  • Remove and clean the strainer or aerator device on your faucets and shower heads to remove debris.
  • Replace the water-filter cartridge on your filtration device as recommended by the manufacturer.
  • Test private wells before using them for the first time and yearly thereafter (more often if you have a problem).
  • Heed public health alerts for waterborne-disease emergencies, and follow instructions carefully if an alert is issued.

Continue Learning about Household Safety

Weird Ways Your Home Is Making You Sick
Weird Ways Your Home Is Making You Sick
You vacuum your carpets, wash your dishes and clothes, and clean your windows, so you must have a clean house, right? Wrong. There are some sneaky hea...
Child Safety: Head Injury From Toppling TVs
It’s summer and -- like every year -- we’re seeing the annual rise in children’s injuries and deaths. The most common causes are drowning (#1), follow...
What should I not do if I suspect poisoning has occurred in my home?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
What not to do if you suspect poisoning in your home: – Do not wait for symptoms if you suspect s...
How can I prevent falls at home?
SAGESAGE
Reduce the chances of falling at home by keeping entry ways, hallways and pathways in your apartment...