Is your water safe to drink?

The best resources to determine if your local drinking water is safe to drink are local news outlets and local public works offices. The EPA now plans to tighten drinking-water standards to eliminate the carcinogen (cancer-causing) hexavalent chromium. Until that standard is implemented nationwide, if you are concerned about your drinking water, you can consider using faucet or water pitcher filters that contain activated carbon, which eliminates 40% - 90% of this contaminant. The range is based on how much of the hexavalent chromium is in your drinking water.
A more expensive option is a reverse-osmosis home filtering system, which can remove this carcinogen. Systems can cost between $200 and$700, sometimes even more, depending on the size of your home and the installation time.

For more information check out: www.ewg.org/chromium6-in-tap-water

Continue Learning about Household Safety

Protect Your Kids from Hidden Hazards in the Kitchen
Danni’s mom was busy cooking dinner when she heard Danni’s cry. The toddler had found the food processor. While her parents had proactively and carefu...
Distracted Driving Knows No Age Limits
Distracted Driving Knows No Age Limits
James Dean was 24 in 1955 when his Porsche 550 Spyder crashed, killing him. He didn’t need to be distracted by a cellphone to have a fatal accident --...
How can I treat volatile organic compound (VOC) toxicity?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
The mainstay of treatment for volatile organic compound (VOC) toxicity is to remove the source o...
Should I use rubber gloves when cleaning my home?
Gloves can keep harmful chemicals from burning your hands and arms. So why don't people use them mor...