How can I get rid of a bat inside my house?

If a bat is present in your home, contact an animal-control or public health agency for assistance. It may be important to capture the bat for rabies testing, especially if a potential bite or exposure has occurred. Sometimes, professional help may be unavailable. In such cases, use precautions to capture the bat safely, as described below.

To begin, you will need:

• leather work gloves (put them on)
  • small box or coffee can
  • piece of cardboard
  • tape

The steps you should take to capture the bat are:

• When the bat lands, approach it slowly, while wearing the gloves, and place the box or coffee can over it.
  • Slide the cardboard under the container to trap the bat inside.
  • Tape the cardboard to the container securely, and punch small holes in the cardboard, allowing the bat to breathe.

When no potential exposure has occurred, the bat can be safely released outside. If a bite or exposure to saliva (e.g., into a person's mouth, eyes or a fresh wound) has occurred, your health department or animal-control authority should be contacted to make arrangements for rabies testing.

Continue Learning about Household Safety

How Safe is Your Backyard
How Safe is Your Backyard
My friend’s first unfortunate mistake: Ignoring the broken ash-catcher on the bottom of his ancient Weber grill, which was loose enough to allow an e...
5 DIY Household Cleaning Products to Detox Your Home
Your cleaning supplies are your home’s best defense against germs, dust, dirt and grease. But when it comes to your health, they might actually be mor...
How can I test my home water supply for toxic compounds?
To get a handle on the quality of your tap water, you first need to find out where your drinking wat...
How can I keep my email account secure?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
To keep your email account secure, follow a few simple rules: Be cautious of unsolicited email f...