How can I protect my child from household cleaners and other poisons?

Keep all dangerous cleaners, paint thinners, antifreeze, pesticides, and medicines locked up or on high shelves. Ditto for mouthwash, perfumes, vitamins, laundry detergent, and batteries -- all can be deadly poisons to small kids, so make sure they are not accessible.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Household Safety

Do You Know How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide (CO), is the leading cause of poison-related deaths in the United States, responsible for more than 20,000 trips to the emergency room...
Distracted Driving Knows No Age Limits
Distracted Driving Knows No Age Limits
James Dean was 24 in 1955 when his Porsche 550 Spyder crashed, killing him. He didn’t need to be distracted by a cellphone to have a fatal accident --...
What are sources of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the home?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are found in everyday household items such as paints, paint st...
How can I browse the Internet and be safe from identity theft?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Identity theft is a major concern in today’s digital world. Whether you shop online or not, it’s pos...