How do I keep the kitchen sponge clean?

Keep your kitchen clean by swapping out kitchen sponges regularly and following these rules:
  • Replace worn sponges rather than reusing.
  • To clean a sponge, wash it in the hot cycle of your washing machine or wet the sponge well and microwave it on high for about 2 minutes. Microwaving a dry sponge could start a fire.
  • Pay close attention to what the sponge was used to wipe up. If it was a drip from raw meat, it's necessary to clean the sponge and sanitize it in a diluted bleach solution (1 tablespoon of bleach added to 1 gallon of water) before using a second time.

Continue Learning about Household Safety

Protect Your Kids from Hidden Hazards in the Kitchen
Danni’s mom was busy cooking dinner when she heard Danni’s cry. The toddler had found the food processor. While her parents had proactively and carefu...
How Safe is Your Backyard
How Safe is Your Backyard
My friend’s first unfortunate mistake: Ignoring the broken ash-catcher on the bottom of his ancient Weber grill, which was loose enough to allow an em...
How can I protect my child from household cleaners and other poisons?
Keep all dangerous cleaners, paint thinners, antifreeze, pesticides, and medicines locked up or on h...
How can I get rid of a bat inside my house?
If a bat is present in your home, contact an animal-control or public health agency for assistance. ...