How can I keep bats out of my house?

Some bats live in buildings and may continue to do so with little risk to inhabitants if they are unable to access living areas and the potential for contact with people is low.

However, bats should always be prevented from entering rooms of your home. "Bat proofing" your home or living quarters can prevent bats from using a home for a roosting site. For best results, contact an animal control or wildlife conservation agency and ask for assistance.

If you choose to do the "bat-proofing" yourself, here are some suggestions:

• Carefully examine your home for holes that might allow bats entry into your living quarters.
  • Any openings larger than a quarter-inch by a half-inch should be caulked.
  • Use window screens, chimney caps and draft-guards beneath doors to attics.
  • Fill electrical and plumbing holes with stainless steel wool or caulking. Ensure that all doors to the outside close tightly.
  • Most bats leave in the fall or winter to hibernate, so these are the best times to "bat-proof" your home. During summer, many young bats are unable to fly. If you exclude adult bats during this time, the young may be trapped inside.

Continue Learning about Household Safety

Protect Your Kids from Hidden Hazards in the Kitchen
Danni’s mom was busy cooking dinner when she heard Danni’s cry. The toddler had found the food processor. While her parents had proactively and carefu...
Weird Ways Your Home Is Making You Sick
Weird Ways Your Home Is Making You Sick
You vacuum your carpets, wash your dishes and clothes, and clean your windows, so you must have a clean house, right? Wrong. There are some sneaky hea...
Are there toxic chemicals in my home?
Plastics and paint have dangerous chemicals that can damage your health. Watch this video as Dr. Oz ...
How can raccoons get into my house?
Raccoons sometimes enter houses via clogged gutters, where excess moisture rots wood and makes it ea...