Could air pollution in my home or office make me sick?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
Chances are you are exposed to indoor air pollution in the house where you live or the building where you work. When was the last time you were exposed to fresh paint, new carpets, a copier or laser printer? What about cleaning products, nail polish remover or other solvents? How about a big flat-screen TV, which can give off an odor of slowly cooking plastic? Let’s face it: these things aren’t making the air we breathe any cleaner or safer. Quite the opposite: many of the products we use everyday are giving off toxins that we then breathe in, or absorb through our skin.

With 90 percent of time spent indoors, there is a good chance that indoor air pollution impacts your health, for the worse. In fact, if the building in which you live, work or study in is a sick building, it could very well be making you sick too. And you probably don’t even realize what is making you ill.

Continue Learning about Household Safety

Getting Rid of Hidden Household Hazards
Getting Rid of Hidden Household Hazards
Ever since Edgar Alan Poe wrote The Telltale Heart people have been worried about what menace might be lurking, unseen, in their homes (just think of ...
Distracted Driving Knows No Age Limits
Distracted Driving Knows No Age Limits
James Dean was 24 in 1955 when his Porsche 550 Spyder crashed, killing him. He didn’t need to be distracted by a cellphone to have a fatal accident --...
How can my house make me sick?
Your house may be making you sick without you knowing it. In this video, Dr. Oz gives some tips ...
Will mixing liquid nitrogen and water create dangerous fumes?
One urban legend claims that mixing liquid nitrogen and water can create a toxic cloud. Watch as...