How should I clean my kitchen countertops?

There are many disinfectants and cleaners that are highly effective. Chlorine bleach is an inexpensive and highly effective disintectant that kills most bacteria, including Salmonella and E.coli, which cause intestinal illness; Staphylococcus, which causes skin infections; rhinovirus, the leading cause of the common cold; and rotavirus, the major cause of diarrhea in young children.

A good indication of how effective chlorine bleach disinfects, it killed more than 99.9 percent of the poliovirus microbe, a germ that's almost impossible to destroy, in one study.

Use 1 tablespoon (to sanitize) to 1/4 cup (to disinfect) bleach with 1 gallon water. Wash the kitchen counters with soap and water and then liberally apply the bleach solution with a sponge. Leave the solution on for 2 minutes and then allow to air-dry without wiping.

You're never going to eliminate all the bacteria from your kitchen surfaces, so don't get obsessive over this. Antibacterial countertops are useless. Clean off your counters with water after preparing food. If your food is contaminated with bacteria, as all chicken and hamburger is, then kill those germs with Lysol, Clorox, or rubbing alcohol. Ditto for your refrigerator and freezer.
You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Household Safety

5 DIY Household Cleaning Products to Detox Your Home
Your cleaning supplies are your home’s best defense against germs, dust, dirt and grease. But when it comes to your health, they might actually be mor...
Do You Know How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide (CO), is the leading cause of poison-related deaths in the United States, responsible for more than 20,000 trips to the emergency room...
How can I reduce toxins in the bathroom?
Here are some ways to reduce toxins in your bathroom: To protect your skin, filter your water wit...
How can I remove harmful tobacco chemicals from my house?
All tobacco products, including cigarettes, pipes, and cigars, produce harmful chemicals even after ...