Does starting hospice care mean I've given up hope?

Juliet Wilkinson
Oncology Nursing
This is a very simple question that presents a not so simple answer. It's actually a self-reflecting question -- have you given up hope? Accepting hospice care may mean that you have drained all curative options for your life-limiting disease, and some turn to hospice only as a last option. However, some turn to hospice well before the end of their life to find answers. These people may be gifted by relearning their spiruality with the hospice chaplain or receiving simple, unfettered answers from their hospice nurse. They may actually live longer than expected from the reduction of pain and mental suffering that is synonymous with having an excellent hospice team care for you and your family. And, the best part is that the hospice benefit can be revoked at any time. For instance, if your doctor finds a new, promising treatment for your disease you may elect to leave hospice and try the treatment. Starting hospice care means that you have made a difficult decision that may benefit you, as well as your loved ones, as you enter a very natural part of the life cycle.

Continue Learning about Hospice Care

What Is Hospice Care?
What Is Hospice Care?
The end of life can be an emotionally and physically difficult time. Most adults say they’d prefer to die at home, pain free and surrounded by friends...
How can I prepare for hospice?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
The reality of hospice care requires a number of adjustments -- from accommodating the annoyance of ...
If a hospice patient takes narcotics, will he/she get addicted?
Stacie KarczmiarzStacie Karczmiarz
Some of the medications given through hospice are medications on which the body becomes physically d...
Should hospice care only be considered if death is near?
Nimesh P. Nagarsheth, MDNimesh P. Nagarsheth, MD
I actively encourage patients to consider hospice care, if possible, before they become bed-boun...