Why does homeopathy use small doses of diluted substances?

Homeopathy derives from the idea that the human body can heal itself if given the proper stimulus, or medication. This medication is in the form of natural substances that are found in plants, animals, or minerals. The curative substance is the very substance that in high doses can cause the illness. In practice, the lower the dose of the medication, the greater effect it has on kick starting the body's healing mechanisms to fight that illness. One part of the medication is diluted in 99 parts of water or alcohol and then shaken. Then, one part of the diluted medicine is diluted again in the same fashion. The number of dilutions is determined by the homeopath and based on the patient and the symptoms or illness.

Lisa  Samet, ND
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

The most effective homeopathic remedies come from very toxic substances, so they must be diluted to be safe enough to take. Watch naturopathic doctor Lisa Samet, ND, explain why diluting and shaking is key to the creation of homeopathic remedies.

Continue Learning about Homeopathy

Can babies and children benefit from homeopathy?
Many homeopathic remedies are used for babies and children, but always seek the advice of your pedia...
When can I use hepar sulph to treat acne?
National Center for HomeopathyNational Center for Homeopathy
Hepar sulph is a homeopathic remedy that can be used to treat acne. It can be used for people whose ...
Do I Need a Prescription for Homeopathic Medicine?
Does Homeopathy Work?
Does Homeopathy Work?