What's a home remedy for stuffy sinuses?

Dr. Christopher Maloney, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
I'd start with nasal inhalation, the old steaming method.

NASAL INHALATION
You need:
  • a large bowl
  • a large towel
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • cloves
  • ginger or turmeric
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1 box tissues
Boil water, pour into the bowl. Add 1 tsp. of your preferred spice. (Do NOT over add, because these volatile oils can cause chemical burns. My personal failed experiment involved 1/2 cup of cinnamon).

Place towel over bowl. In placing your face under the towel, make sure that you leave sufficient cold air coming in the sides to avoid any burns. DO NOT BURN YOURSELF. If a burning sensation occurs, it will usually begin with the lips.

The goal of the treatment is to be able to inhale deeply, bringing the steam and spice to the lungs and up into the sinuses. When this begins to work, the sinuses will be begin to run freely. Blow very gently and wipe away mucus, continuing three rounds of one minute each under the towel. Repeat multiple times during an acute episode.

Continue Learning about Home Remedies

Busy Woman's Guide: An ER Doctor's 5 Fast Home Remedies
“What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure for” goes an old proverb. Sore throat? Whiskey and honey. Arthritis acting up? Whiskey and raisins. To s...
What should I look for when choosing an herbal remedy?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
When choosing herbs, look for the ones labeled “standardized.” This means the manufacturer measu...
What are some non-food-based home remedies that work?
Some non-food-based home remedies that work include:Tickle the Roof of Your Mouth to Stop HiccupsMet...
What Are Natural Treatments for Allergies?