What should I look for when choosing an herbal remedy?

When choosing herbs, look for the ones labeled “standardized.” This means the manufacturer measured the amount of key ingredients in the herbal batch. Since plants can vary greatly in their potency, and there is no government regulation for ingredients in herbal remedies, the chances are greater that you will get what you pay for in a “standardized brand.” Also, buy herbs from a reputable manufacturer instead of an off-brand that may be cheaper. You might ask your pharmacist to recommend a reputable brand. If you decide to take an herbal supplements, play it safe and talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or a certified nutritionist about side effects. Herbal therapies are not recommended for pregnant women, children, the elderly, or those with compromised immune systems.

Continue Learning about Home Remedies

Busy Woman's Guide: An ER Doctor's 5 Fast Home Remedies
“What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure for” goes an old proverb. Sore throat? Whiskey and honey. Arthritis acting up? Whiskey and raisins. To s...
When making rum and raisins, do I use dark or golden raisins?
dotFITdotFIT
The raisin and “insert favorite liquor here” cure is purported to reduce inflammation from rheumatoi...
What are the benefits of soaking in an Epsom salt bath?
Tasneem H. Bhatia, MDTasneem H. Bhatia, MD
Soaking in an Epsom salt bath is a great way for your body to get magnesium topically, if you can't ...
What Are Natural Treatments for Allergies?