What should I look for when choosing an herbal remedy?

When choosing herbs, look for the ones labeled “standardized.” This means the manufacturer measured the amount of key ingredients in the herbal batch. Since plants can vary greatly in their potency, and there is no government regulation for ingredients in herbal remedies, the chances are greater that you will get what you pay for in a “standardized brand.” Also, buy herbs from a reputable manufacturer instead of an off-brand that may be cheaper. You might ask your pharmacist to recommend a reputable brand. If you decide to take an herbal supplements, play it safe and talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or a certified nutritionist about side effects. Herbal therapies are not recommended for pregnant women, children, the elderly, or those with compromised immune systems.

Continue Learning about Home Remedies

Busy Woman's Guide: An ER Doctor's 5 Fast Home Remedies
“What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure for” goes an old proverb. Sore throat? Whiskey and honey. Arthritis acting up? Whiskey and raisins. To s...
How long should I soak in an Epsom salt bath?
Tasneem H. Bhatia, MDTasneem H. Bhatia, MD
Ideally, you should soak in an Epsom salt bath 3-4 times a week for 15-30 minutes; any longer and yo...
How can I create a spa environment at home?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Here's how you can easily create a spa in your home: Dress for relaxation. Purchase a terry cloth...
What Are Natural Treatments for Allergies?