What are ways to cut calories from holiday meals?

While tradition plays a big role in most holiday dishes, no one says you have to stick to the same recipes time after time. You can cut calories from holiday meals by making simple alterations. Add Greek yogurt to dips to keep them creamy with less fat or use applesauce or bananas to replace butter in baked goods. Keep meats lean by removing the skin and substitute broth for water to add extra flavor wherever you can. As always, try to incorporate as many fruits and vegetables into the meal as possible. Turn alcoholic beverages into spritzers by adding sparkling water or club soda and opt for reduced-calorie beers, wines and liquors when you can.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

Safe Holiday Travel Tips from an ER Doctor
Planning a trip for the holidays? Good for you. But please—be safe. Not to put a damper on the season, but it is one of the most dangerous travel time...
Does turkey really put you to sleep?
Scott PullenScott Pullen
This is definitely a myth; in fact, we often recommend turkey or chicken and pasta as a team's p...
How to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health Hazards
How to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health HazardsHow to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health HazardsHow to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health HazardsHow to Avoid the Top 8 Holiday Health Hazards
Don’t let holiday activities and stress put a damper on your spirit this time of year—learn how to prevent eight common holiday health risks.
Why Am I Miserable After a Holiday Meal?