What are ways to cut calories from holiday meals?

While tradition plays a big role in most holiday dishes, no one says you have to stick to the same recipes time after time. You can cut calories from holiday meals by making simple alterations. Add Greek yogurt to dips to keep them creamy with less fat or use applesauce or bananas to replace butter in baked goods. Keep meats lean by removing the skin and substitute broth for water to add extra flavor wherever you can. As always, try to incorporate as many fruits and vegetables into the meal as possible. Turn alcoholic beverages into spritzers by adding sparkling water or club soda and opt for reduced-calorie beers, wines and liquors when you can.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

What can I eat before a holiday party so I don't overindulge?
Michael A. Snyder, MDMichael A. Snyder, MD
To avoid overindulging at a holiday party, it's important to be full before you go, so that hunger d...
What is a holiday hangover?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
It seems to happen every year -- a holiday hangover. Not just any old hangover (the result of to...
Does turkey really put you to sleep?
Scott PullenScott Pullen
This is definitely a myth; in fact, we often recommend turkey or chicken and pasta as a team's p...
5 Holiday Food Swaps
5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps
You won’t even notice you’re eating fewer calories. Your diet doesn’t have to get in the way of your holiday cheer. Instead, pick and choose the healt...