What can I do to stay in shape during the holiday season?

While constant parties and family travel during the holidays disrupt your fitness routine, use the following tips for keeping your body fit during this challenging season:
  1. Exercise first thing in the morning. If you normally exercise during your lunch hour or after work, holiday demands are likely to steal away that time. Instead make exercise the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning.
  2. Swap physical activity for partying. A lot of times during the holidays you spend time with friends and family catching up in the company of food and beverages. Instead of chatting over a glass of high-calorie eggnog, why not catch up with a walk? Or plan a hike, build a snowman or do another fun activity.
  3. Do high-intensity interval workouts. The holidays sap our free time, so why not get more out of less in the gym? If you usually do 45 minutes on a treadmill at a steady pace, try 20-30 minutes of intervals, where you work out intensely for a minute or so, rest, then do another intense bout of exercise.
  4. Give yourself a break. Stress from worry, guilt and other negative emotions can increase the hormone cortisol, which has a negative effect on your body. Don’t be so hard on yourself if things aren’t perfect during the holidays, and don’t be a “family fixer” and try to solve everyone’s problems. You’re only human. Breathe deeply and do your best.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

5 Ways to Skirt Holiday Weight Gain
5 Ways to Skirt Holiday Weight Gain
Want a guilt-free way to feast on holiday fare without loading up on all the button-popping, belly-bulging calories? No problem. Just use this 5-tip h...
How can I help my family eat healthy during the holidays?
Kat Barefield, MS, RDKat Barefield, MS, RD
First, by being a good role model by filling your plate with mostly healthy items such as salads, fr...
4 Light and Healthy Passover Recipes
4 Light and Healthy Passover Recipes4 Light and Healthy Passover Recipes4 Light and Healthy Passover Recipes4 Light and Healthy Passover Recipes
Serve these celebratory meals at your holiday table.
What's a Healthy Holiday Appetizer?
What's a Healthy Holiday Appetizer?