What is a holiday hangover?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
It seems to happen every year -- a holiday hangover. Not just any old hangover (the result of too much or a bad mix of booze), what I'm talking about is the holiday hangover -- that which results from the accumulation of holiday indulgences or abruptions in routine. The holiday hangover occurs when we wake up with weight gain, fatigue, so-called "winter blues", headaches, digestive upset, perhaps even the flu. What a way to ring in the New Year!

The culprits aren't individually that challenging to the body; however, add up all their combined efforts and they mount a super challenging assault on your body's health and well-being. Extra booze, extra food, lack of sleep, extra sweets, and lack of exercise leave every system in the body wondering which way is up (and that's pretty important if you think about it!).

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

7 Ways to Stop Holiday Weight Gain
7 Ways to Stop Holiday Weight Gain7 Ways to Stop Holiday Weight Gain7 Ways to Stop Holiday Weight Gain7 Ways to Stop Holiday Weight Gain
Here’s how to ring in the new year without putting on pounds. By Olivia DeLong The time between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day can bring joy, excite...
What’s the Secret to Keeping a New Year’s Resolution?
What Can I Eat Before a Holiday Party So I Don't Overdo It?
What Are Some Healthy Alternatives for Sweets During the Holidays?