How can I use decorative lights safely?

To safely use decorative lights:
  • Use only lights that have been tested for safety. Make sure they have a label from an independent testing laboratory.
  • Check each set of lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires or loose connections. Discard or repair damaged sets.
  • Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord. Newer LED lights allow more strands to be strung together, up to 216 total watts on one 15-amp circuit.
  • Turn off all lights on trees and other decorations when you go to bed or leave the house. Lights can short and start a fire.
  • Keep "bubbling" lights away from children. The bright colors and bubbling movement can tempt children to play with them; if they break, children can be cut or harmed by drinking the liquid.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

Take the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food Swaps
Take the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food SwapsTake the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food SwapsTake the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food SwapsTake the Heartburn Out of the Holidays With These Simple Food Swaps
Your favorite dishes may make pain and burning worse. Odds are you’re familiar with heartburn, that feeling of pain and burning in your chest you some...
What Foods Should I Avoid During the Holidays?
What Is a Healthy Holiday Eggnog Recipe?
How Can I Eat Healthy During the Holidays?