How can I manage holiday stress during menopause?

Staness Jonekos
Health Education
If you practice a few of these Stress-Free Holiday Tips you may just survive your "to-do" list and the holiday season: 
  • Keep expectations reasonable. Planning parties and decorating are stressful tasks. Instead of planning a big holiday party, plan a day to celebrate the holiday at the spa with your closet friends. Keep your schedule open to attend a few parties, not give them. Instead of decorating your home and a Christmas tree, put a lovely wreath on the front door, place a small planted evergreen in the living room and enjoy red candles around the home. 
  • Communicate with your loved ones. Let them know you are going through changes, and that you plan to get some rest this holiday and would appreciate their support. 
  • Limit your alcohol intake. Holiday parties are often centered on drinking. Try to "nurse" one glass of wine for the evening. Remember alcohol is loaded with extra calories. I ask for "water on the rocks with a twist" - it is fun, always gets a reaction, is calorie free and keeps you hydrated.
  • Quiet time. Plan a half hour a day to sit quietly. Find a spot in your home in a comfy chair. Close your eyes, and take long deep breathes. Breathe in thinking of good health and happiness and breathe out stress and frustration. 
  • Eat a healthy diet. Eat more vegetables, whole grains, fruits and low-fat foods. You will have more energy. 
  • Start exercising. Take a 30-minute walk. Not only will you burn calories, you will feel more relaxed. 
  • Manage your time. Cut your to-do list in half this year. 
  • Send e-cards this year. It is fast, easy, free and fun. This will save you time, money, paper and postage. 
  • Have a sense of humor. Dealing with relatives over the holidays can be stressful. If relatives are visiting you for the holiday, ask them to book a hotel for their stay. Keeping your home a sanctuary during your menopause transition is important. If a relative is driving you crazy, try to be cheerful and laugh it off.
  • Keep a budget. Dealing with extra holiday expenses is also extremely stressful. To buffer this a bit, try making homemade gifts or let your loved ones know that this year the gift theme is 'to spend less than $20 per person per gift.' Don't forget, shopping on-line will save time and frustration at the malls.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

Easy Thanksgiving Quesadillas
Easy Thanksgiving Quesadillas
Looking for a new way to use up your Thanksgiving leftovers? Give 'em a Tex-Mex twist by combining turkey, cranberry sauce and cheese in a whole wheat...
How can I have a happy holiday with my blended family?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Here are some simple strategies to help you have a more pleasant holiday season in a blended fam...
5 Holiday Food Swaps
5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps
You won’t even notice you’re eating fewer calories.
What's a Healthy Holiday Appetizer?
What's a Healthy Holiday Appetizer?