How can I lose weight gained over the holidays?

Judy Caplan

Make a plan. Join a gym. Find a body buddy. Weigh yourself once a week. Visit www.eatright.org to find a registered dietitian in your area. A registered dietitian (RD) is a nutrition expert who can help you develop a plan. They can help you find inexpensive gyms and connect you with fitness professionals. RD's can look at your lifestyle and help you pull together what will work for you. They will help you answer the important questions like, "What am I really willing to do?" and "How long am I willing to do it for?"

Marisa Moore

Burning (off) those holiday cookies can be a challenge in the cold, dark sometimes snowy days of January. But you can do it! 

January is a great time to focus on a healthy lifestyle. All is new and you get a fresh start. Try these tips to get rid of any weight gained over the holidays and to keep it off for the year.

• Set goals. This may be a number on the scale, a waist circumference, a new dress size or a measure of how you feel.
  • Prioritize vegetables. Vegetables are so low in calories and high in nutrients, they are your best buddy for weight loss.
  • Create a list of healthy, quick and satisfying meals that will help with weight loss. Include plenty of vegetable salads with low calorie dressing, vegetable soups, chili with plenty of beans, roasted seasonal vegetables, lean protein and whole grains like brown rice, quinoa and oats. 
  • Shop for your meals and plan them for the week.
  • Get moving. Eating right goes a long way but regular physical activity can help you achieve and maintain your weight loss goals long term.
  • Solicit support from your family, friends or coworkers. This may mean eating out less often, avoiding your coworkers' brownies or meeting a friend at the gym every week. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

5 Holiday Food Swaps
5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps5 Holiday Food Swaps
You won’t even notice you’re eating fewer calories. Your diet doesn’t have to get in the way of your holiday cheer. Instead, pick and choose the healt...
What Is a Healthy Recipe for Holiday Cookies?
How to Prevent Weight Gain Over the Holidays
What Are Some Healthy Alternatives for Sweets During the Holidays?