How can I reduce holiday stress to control my blood sugar level?

The holidays can be a very busy and stressful time of year. When stress builds up, it causes the release of "fight or flight" hormones. These hormones then cause an increase in blood glucose. Here are some tips to decrease holiday stress:
  • Try to simplify the holiday season. Avoid taking on extra duties or extra cooking for holiday events. Focus on spending time with people and less on the other holiday hype around gifts and food.
  • Stay organized and do things ahead of time. Plan diabetes-friendly meals in advance. Make a plan so you know how to deal with the pressure of indulging in holiday food. Try to get a head start on your shopping and plan time for physical activity.
  • Use food to your advantage. As someone with diabetes, it is easy to get caught up in choosing foods for the purpose of managing blood glucose levels. But managing blood glucose and eating healthy, nutrient-rich foods should go hand-in-hand.
Don't sacrifice good nutrition during this busy time. Eating healthy and sticking to your meal plan will keep your immune system strong. Adequate rest and regular exercise can also help regulate blood glucose and strengthen your immune system.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays