How can I enjoy the holidays with an aging loved one?

If you're caring for an aging or sick relative, the holidays may be more a source of stress than a time of togetherness and celebration. By making some adjustments, though, you can enjoy the holiday season with an ailing loved one around. Some tips:
  • Lower your expectations. What's truly important this time of year is being together, rather than creating a feast worthy of Martha Stewart magazine or making all your decorations by hand. Think about what you can reasonably accomplish before the holidays and don't plan for more than that. You may find that a small, intimate gathering is more meaningful than a party with everyone you know, for example.
  • Close down the kitchen. Cooking a holiday meal can be a major hassle. If you're known for a special dish, make just that and get the rest from a restaurant, bakery or caterer.
  • Put your loved one to work. If she's up to it, have her measure ingredients, mix batter or decorate cookies. Your aging or ailing relative can also help trim the tree, make garlands or wrap presents. You may find that this brings you closer and takes the focus off of her illness.
  • Reset your mindset. Stay in the present. Be thankful that your loved one is here for at least one more holiday season. Enjoy each moment so it stays clear in your memory. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

How can I entertain during holidays if I have memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Plan ahead for holiday entertaining. To enjoy holiday entertaining more, do as much as you can b...
What are ways to control calories during the holidays?
Jorge CruiseJorge Cruise
To control calorie intake at a holiday party, you should fill your plate with tiny-calorie foods (ve...
What are ways to cut sugar from holiday recipes?
There are many ways to reduce the amount of sugar in recipes. Applesauce and carrots can be substitu...
How can traditional holiday foods and drinks affect my teeth?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Holiday celebrations often include sugar-filled indulgences such as desserts, candy, punch, and ...