How can I burn off holiday calories?

Jessica Crandall

Budget in time for yourself every day such as a walk, taking a fitness class, being active with your family, even household chores such as cleaning the house, shoveling snow, etc. Every minute counts towards removing some of those extra calories you might be consuming during this time of year.

Exercise of any form, resistance training or cardiovascular exercise, provides an opportunity to expend energy, creating the possibility for a negative energy balance that will result in fat loss. A great method for exercise is to perform a circuit training program. Circuit training consists of several stations in which the client performs an exercise for a set amount of time or repetitions. Once time or repetitions have been achieved, then the client moves on to the next exercise in the station. Circuits can have as few as three exercises but can be as much as desired.

Circuit-style resistance training may be better suited for burning calories and thus losing fat. Recently, several studies have compared the effects of circuit resistance training with traditional cardio forms of exercise. It was shown that circuit training was just as beneficial as traditional cardiorespiratory exercise for improving and/or contributing to improved fitness levels.

Continue Learning about Healthy Holidays

How to Survive the Holidays When You Have Social Anxiety
The to-do lists are long, the calendar is full and to make things even more challenging, like 15 million other American adults, you have social anxiet...
What's a Healthy Holiday Appetizer?
What's a Healthy Holiday Appetizer?
What Can I Eat Before a Holiday Party So I Don't Overdo It?
What Is a Healthy Holiday Eggnog Recipe?